Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Charm Square Table Topper Tutorial

Aren't pre-cuts just the bomb!  I love to use pre-cuts because I love to make scrappy things.  With Pre-cuts, all the colors match and most of the cutting is done.  I put together this little pattern/tutorial for use with 5" squares to make this little table topper. You can use Moda Charm Squares or you can use fabric from your stash.   Isn't it adorable.
I had some leftover Charm Squares from a prior project.  I didn't have quite enough for the quilt so I had to cut a few from other fabric.  All fabrics were from the same line so the colors matched perfectly.
 This pattern makes a table topper that's 23" square

 For this pattern you will need:
(29) 5" squares
1/3 yard of coordinating fabric
Batting and backing for a 23" square

Step 1 
Set aside 12 squares to be used for the middle border. 
 Step 2
Cutting
From the coordinating fabric (1/3 yard): (WOF means width of fabric)
Cut (4) 2-1/2" X WOF strips.  Cross cut these fabrics into (2) 2-1/2" X 18-1/2" strips and (2) 2-1/2" X 22-1/2" WOF strips

Cut (1) 1" X WOF strip.  Cross cut into (2) 1" X 8-1/2" strips and (2) 1" X 9-1/2" strips.
Cut (17) 5" squares in half so you have (34) 2-1/2" X 5" rectangles.

Cut (2) 5" X 2-1/2" rectangles into (4) 2-1/2" square. Set aside.

You will sew rectangles together and you want scrappy, so I just flipped one stack over and began sewing the top rectangle from one stack to the bottom rectangle of the other stack.
                           
Step 3
Chain stitch your rectangles and press toward the darkest fabric.
Step 4
Place one set of 4-1/2" X 5" blocks on top of another set of another 4-1/2" X 5" block, right sides together, butting the seam. Cut into (2) 2-1/2 X 4-1/2" rectangles. Do this with (4) pairs of 4-1/2" X 5" blocks or (8) blocks.



From each pair, you will have 4 rectangles

Step 5
Sew 4 sets together to make (4) 4 patch units.  Sew the remaining together to make (4) strips of 4 squares.


Step 6
Sew two (2) 4 patch blocks together.
Sew these blocks together to make a 16 block center piece.
Step 7
Cut the remaining 4-1/2" X 5" blocks into 2-1/2" X 5" rectangle units.
Step 8
Using the (4) 4 square strips from Step 5 and these remaining rectangle units, sew end to end so you have (2) strips with 10 and (2) strips with (12) 2-1/2" squares.  Using the 2-1/2" squares you 'set aside' in step 2, add one square to each strip so you have (2) strips with 11 squares and (2) strips with 13 squares.
Step 9
Sew the 2-1/2" X 8-1/2" strips to opposites sides of the center piece.
Then sew the 2-1/2" X 9-1/2" strips to the other sides of the center piece.
Step 10
Sew your 5" square blocks into (2) sets of 4 and (2) sets of 2. Press toward the dark fabric.
  
Step 11
Sew both of the 2 block units to opposite ends of the center unit.
Sew the 4 block units to the other ends of the center unit.
Step 12
Sew the (2) 2-1/2 X 18-1/2" inner border strips to opposite sides of the piece.
Then sew the (2) 2-1/2" X 22-1/2" strips to the other ends of the piece.


Step 13
Next, sew the 11 square border strip to two sides of the piece.
Finally, sew the 13 square boarder strip to the other two sides of the piece.
Step 14 (can't stop with 13 steps;)
Stand back and admire your lovely little table topper and think about how you will quilt it.
This is another version of this pattern finished.  I used a full Charm Pack for this one so I had enough of the squares left to cut into 2-1/2" X 5" rectangles, which I sewed together to make a scrappy binding
Linking To:
The Design Wall Inspiration Monday Linky Tuesdays Fabric Tuesday #188  Handmade Tuesdays Your Whims Wednesday #165 Whatever Goes Wednesday #225 Wow Me Wednesday #148 Lovely Ladies Linky #38 Polka Dot Giraffe Creative Spark Link Party I Quilt Needle and Thread Thursday Catch a Glimpse #185 All Things Thursday Link Party#35 Fancy This #179 Creativity Unleashed Linky Party #23 Fabric Frenzy Friday #18 No Rules Weekend Blog Party With Linky #88 Freedom Friday's With All My Bloggy Friends #31 Can I get a Whoop Whoop Linky Party Palooza Get Schooled Saturday #130 Sewjo Saturday Survival Mode and Pin-It Party #51 Show and Tell Saturday Sew Darn Crafty Linky Party Bouquet of Talent #92 Say G-Day Saturday Linky Party #90 Share Your Creativity Anything Goes Monday #66

4 comments:

  1. I like the zing of orange you used with your charms, and the red in your Christmas topper. I wouldn't have thought to use charms to make the binding - I may be too impatient for that - but it looks great.

    I would have liked to email a reply when you commented on my blog, but your email is not visible in your profile. If you are interested, it is something you can change quite easily in your profile settings. :-) I had the same issue until a kind person alerted me, and it has changed everything for me. I'm now able to communicate directly with my new friends in the blogosphere, which is great. Thank you for your lovely comment, and I will definitely show what I do on my Mom's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the note about my quilt and about my no reply status. I have been trying to figure out how to be a reply blogger, I even googled it but couldn't find the answer until today. I found it on a blog I was reading. I ran over to my profile and fixed it. What an easy fix. I hope that solves everything. I will look forward to seeing your finish!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would also be a great way to mix those little 2.5 inch square precuts! They always look so cute and I never know what to do with them :) I have gotten away from the pre cut fever I had when I first started. . . . might have to rethink that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precuts are always nice to have around for that time when you need something fast. Thank you for stopping by my blog.
      Kathi

      Delete